Friday, December 12, 2008

P.S. I Love You



P.S. I Love You (2007)

Director: Richard LaGravenese
Cast: Hilary Swank, Gerard Butler, Harry Connick Jr., Gina Gershon, Lisa Kudrow, Kathy Bates

Based on the novel by Cecelia Ahern, "P.S. I Love You" undermines the talent of it's very much talented cast. Holly (Swank) loses her husband only to find that he had her grieving process mapped out in the form of sappy, unrealistic letters. In its attempts to be the tale of a loving husband's final goodbye, even after his death, "P.S. I Love You" assaults its audience with characters you don't care about and situations that are more conveniently scripted than they are believable. Between the melancholy "my husband just died" scenes to the uplifting "disco diva" scenes, the film doesn't know whether or not it wants you to laugh or cry at any given moment. Unfortunately, it doesn't succeed in making us do either.

No comments:

Post a Comment